2.19.2017

Even if you lose, that doesn't mean you're a LOSER.

Life is full of comparing and competing. And sometimes we're just not very good. It seems like someone is always better, always smarter, always faster.

In Preach My Gospel, the missionary handbook, it says "When you have done your very best, you may still experience disappointments, but you will not be disappointed in yourself. You can feel certain that the Lord is pleased... Avoid comparing yourself to other [people] and measuring the outward results of your efforts against theirs." I substituted "people" for "missionaries" because it's all the same. The Lord is all about the one, the individual. There certainly was no comparison in His eyes as He suffered for us one by one in the garden of Gethsemane.

This week I had 3 midterms.... woof. Although I was worried about all 3 of the tests, there was one in particular that worried me. I had heard the class was an especially difficult class, so I wanted to make sure I was prepared. I studied for hours, talked with the TAs, etc. Well, long story short, I walked outta there with a 71%. I was pretty disappointed. But even in disappointment, a still small voice whispered:

"You got a 71%. You are not a 71%."

My bad test score did not define me. Sure, maybe I tried and it didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I wasn't going to make myself miserable about it. I am not a 71%.

I am a daughter of God. And that right there makes me good enough.

When you are faced with disappointment, what is your reaction? When you make a mistake, what do you say to yourself? Let me just tell you that there is a BIG difference between "I'm stupid" and "that was stupid". Accept the fact that you're not perfect and you make mistakes, but at the same time, know you're good enough. Christ thinks so. That's why He died for you... He sees your potential and knows you're worth the great investment He made.

Elder Dube of the 70 came to our stake conference today. He said "Don't compare yourself. Do your best and that's good enough." So simple and so true.

God is our Father. He loves us unconditionally. He corrects us, sure, but because He sees what we can be with His help. We fail, so we learn to do better next time.

Friends, you're not a 71%. Remember that.

Heavenly Father surely loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment