10.11.2016

4th hour, last door

Wow. Yeah, if I had one word to describe the week it would be "door" . . . actually probably "knock." Because we did a LOT of that. You know that feeling when you've been on a boat for a long time and then you get on dry ground, but somehow you still feel like you're rocking with the waves. Well that's kinda how I felt at the end of the days . . . except I felt like I was still knocking on doors! 

Sister Bishop and I have really been struggling to find people to teach. We spent a total of 16 hours knocking doors this week. Yeah . . . I was really shocked when I counted that up. In total, we were able to talk to 95 people, and got a couple potential people to teach, so we're keeping our fingers crossed! 

I can tell you that, well, . . . knocking on doors isn't my favorite thing to do. At the beginning of my mission it actually made me want to find the nearest table to crawl under and promptly hide. It still makes me want to cry sometimes because, well, I get really nervous talking to complete strangers on their front porch. BUT I've learned that it's necessary . . . and it's a blessing to be able to share your testimony with so many people! That doesn't mean it's not scary (especially when the chihuahuas are looking at you like you're the most delicious meal they've ever seen), but it's worth it! 

So one of the days, we'd been walking these back dirt roads for 4 hours straight and we get to one of the last doors we were going to knock before heading off to a dinner appointment. We hadn't hardly any success so far that day, so I think it's safe to say that both of us were done. I offered a short prayer in my heart and said "I'm so tired Heavenly Father. I'm frustrated . . . why won't these people just listen? I just want to know that you're there . . . that you're aware of us and know that we're trying our best to serve you". 

Well we knock on the door, and the lady says "hi, yeah, I know all about you Mormons . . . and I'm sorry, but I'm not interested." At that moment, I wanted to throw up my hands and say "REALLY?! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE OUR GOLDEN PERSON WE FIND!". But then she said "You look like you've been walking all day. I really admire what you do--spreading the word of God and all. I have a big ole pomegranate bush at the front of the yard, please go pick one each and enjoy."

Well you're thinking probably thinking "Hermana March, why on earth is this the story you share with us this week???"  But as some of you know I LOVE POMEGRANATES. And there are tons of pomegranate trees here . . . everywhere. And in the heat of the summer, all I've wanted is to pick a fresh one and eat it. And right then, 4th hour and last door, I get one. A true tender mercy from the Lord . . . He answered my prayer, but I guess just not in the way I wanted/expected.

For those of you who had the chance to hear President Uchtdorf's general women broadcast talk, that's the theme of my email. 

He said: "In our search for enduring faith, in our quest to connect with God and His purposes, let us remember the Lord's promise: 'Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.' Will we give up after knocking on a door or two? A floor or two? Or will we keep seeking until we have reached the fourth floor, last door? God 'rewards those who earnestly seek him,' but that reward is not usually behind the first door. So we need to keep knocking . . . don't give up. Seek God with all your heart. Exercise faith. Walk in righteousness. I promise you that if you will do this - even until the fourth floor, last door - you will receive the answers you seek. You will find faith. And one day you will be filled with light that grows 'brighter and brighter until the perfect day.' . . . God is real. He lives. He loves you. He knows you. He understands you. He knows the silent pleadings of your heart. He has not abandoned you. He will not forsake you."

I testify that God is there. He knows me and He knows you. Sometimes it's not until the 4th door that we find something . . . and then when we do find it, it's not normally in the shape or form we think it should be! But He does answer and He blesses us. He is so so aware of us . . . I've never seen that be more true than on my mission. I love our Heavenly Father. He is so good to us. 

Love you all mucho, 

Hermana March

pictures: 

 White Sands National Park . . . aka lots and lots of sand dunes for miles

  my best friend dog that runs with me in the mornings sometimes.... she sits outside our front door sometimes and it's so cute. I've named her "Dotty"

sometimes we twin on accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment