6.07.2016

A pup in the road . . . an answer to prayers

You're probably scratching your heads right about now . . . strange title choice. I know. 

But here's the background info: 

This week has been a pretty slow week: Lots of people who told us they weren't interested in meeting with us anymore, people who were "not home" and pamphlets thrown in the dirt outside of houses. 

Hermana Jolley and I just could not figure it out . . . what was going on? Why was this happening? I think it's safe to say that these past 2 weeks I've been working the hardest I have on my mission . . . I just kept thinking "why isn't this working?"

Well, all week we've been trying to figure out what to do to find more people to teach . . . we've been talking to people on the streets, in the post office, across the gas pump, knocking on doors, EVERYTHING YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE. And for those of you who know me really well . . . I'm awkward, and more than that, I think it's awkward to start up conversations with strangers, but we've been doing it! And the Lord has blessed us. 

I think oftentimes on a mission (and in life), you go through rough patches and it's like the Lord is testing your faithfulness and your diligence. It's like it says in 2 Nephi 2:11 "for it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, . . .  righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad." He wants to see how you'll act. Will you give up under the pressure? Will you buckle under discouragement? Or will you keep strong? Will you continue to press forward?

Okay here's the good part:

So all week we've been praying to be brave, to find the elect, and do go about doing good. We have seen tender mercy after tender mercy!

We're driving down the road and we see this animal running around in the middle of the street. As we get closer, we see that it's a puppy! And then we realize that we know the puppy... it belongs to someone we used to visit. So we pull over and grab the puppy from the middle of the street and the on coming semi-trucks. We're about 1 mile from its home, so we take it there. 

We knock on the door and the lady answers. She tells us that they've been looking for the puppy since the previous night and that her little girl couldn't stop crying. She tells us that she is so so so grateful and invites us to come back to visit her again! And then we met her friend, and he said that he would be interested in hearing more about the gospel too--he even wants to come to church with us next week!

It's such a simple thing, and maybe it doesn't seem like much to you, but it was an answer to our prayers. It was the Lord telling us "Keep going. Keep trying. There's people out there. You'll find 'em." I love this work and I know that the Lord is mindful of all of his children. 

It's going to be a good week. I can feel it. We're leaving the 99 to search for the 1 lost sheep - rescuing puppies and sheep, one at a time! 

Mucho amor from Hatch, NM

Hermana March

pictures:


 me and my puppy friend. We're 2 peas in pod - I mean look! 

okay, here's a better picture

 companion outing at the PepperPot (one of the only other restaurants in town)

 when we get stuck waiting for a train to pass for 30 minutes

Hatch, NM everybody

 I can't get enough of the sky and the fields here

 ugh, what?! (jkjkjk it's a semi-truck being towed haha)

check out the sunset from last night

No comments:

Post a Comment