3.29.2016

hola there. que pasa? nada nada limonada

Oh man... this week. Where do I even begin? Ok, I'll try my best. 

1. So we're heading into this house for dinner... and something smells like the ocean. I figure it's probably a whole fish--cooked eye balls and all. GREAT. Well we go in and we sit down to dinner. The member sets the plate out in front of us and it doesn't look too bad... I ask her what it is. She looks at me like a little kid who got caught stealing a cookie out of the cookie jar and says that she'll tell me when I'm done eating. Oh no. That ain't gonna fly. And that's always a really scary situation to be in. Finally I start eating this patty of something, smothered in something, with little nopales (cactus) pieces. It's something equivalent to what I would imagine wet cat food baked would taste like. Well come to find out it's a patty of potatoes, eggs, and dried shrimp powder.... a real delicacy. My companion couldn't finish it... after the first bite she was gagging, like bad. So I, Hermana March, braved the storm alone. AND I FINISHED IT. ALL OF IT. I was sooooo sick the rest of the night. 

2. We get to this investigator's house and there's this realllllly drunk man. He starts talking to us and I'm just like "uh uhuh" the whole time. Well there I am just standing there, and then he just randomly gives me the BIGGEST hug I think I've ever received. I didn't know what to do . . .  well because we don't hug men and we certainly don't hug drunk men. My companion thought it was pretty funny. 

3. The women's general session of conference happened! It was awesome! I'm soooo excited for general conference this weekend! Watch a session - or 4!

4. One of our investigators was able to receive a priesthood blessing this weekend. The hermano who came to give the blessing didn't know her at all, but in the blessing he addressed very specific needs and questions that she had. I know that the priesthood power is real. God is aware of each of us. It was such a sweet experience to have been a part of. The Spirit in the room was undeniable and I don't think any of us will ever forget. 

This week has been one of those sobering weeks, but as well a really special one to me. It's hard to believe that so many terrible things are going on in the world right now. I was shocked to hear the news of the 4 missionaries injured in Belgium, as well as other worldwide conflicts. It sometimes still doesn't seem real to me how evil the world can be. But at the same time, as we celebrated Easter this week, I realized that the pains and the evils of this world are temporary. There is nothing that can negate what the Savior did. When we focus on that, there is always a light which burns through the dark night. 

I was reading in the Book of Mormon this week and came across a story that has deeply impacted me.  At this point in the story, the land is full of wars and sadness. There has been a lot of bloodshed because of the wicked. The righteous have been forced to flee from their homes in search of a better life. Despite all of these hardships they were facing, it says that "they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end." (Alma 27:27). It amazes me that they were able to keep themselves so "unspotted" from the world. But what I loved even more was that "they never did look upon death with any degree of terror, for their hope and views of Christ and the resurrection; therefore, death was swallowed up to them by the victory of Christ over it." 
(Alma 27:28). 

What if each and every one of us had that perspective? What if we all trusted in the Lord so much that we were able to look at the evils of the world with no "degree of terror" because of the "hope and views of Christ and the resurrection"? During this Easter season, we are reminded of the hope that comes with Christ and His resurrection. There was a special spirit to my Easter as all day I testified that He lives and that we too can live again.

I know that He lives. I know Him. And I know that He has already paid the price for each one of us. Search for Him... you will find Him and you will find new life - we will become free of sin and free of death through Him. 

Hermana March

the pictures:

 easter afternoon pic with goodies and with the new companion

happy day from the only cat I'll ever probably like 

cool tye dye easter cookies I made... be jealous (jk that's like a sin)

No comments:

Post a Comment