1.19.2016

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Well this is one of those weeks and some of those days where the world seems to turn on it's head and it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But it's in those moments where you must turn to the Lord - having faith in His plan and in His purpose. 

Yesterday morning, I received a call from my mission president telling me that he had been informed that a dear friend of mine, Allie Garcia, had passed away in an automobile accident. It took a second to process, but immediately the emotions came in and I was overwhelmed at the grief I felt. There's hardly a childhood or teenage memory that doesn't somehow link back to my friendship with Allie. It seems like she was there through it all. The chubby days of elementary school, the terribly embarrassing memories of middle school (like her as peanut butter and me as a donut in our Odyssey of the Mind play), interpretive dancing, band, high school choir, graduation... it all has memories of Allie. 

Since I'm on my mission now, I haven't been able to be in close contact with Allie. However, I do remember her sitting in my living room as I opened my mission call and found out that I would be serving in the New Mexico, Albuquerque mission. I don't if she knew what my mission would really entail (because really I didn't even know what I was getting myself into!), but I know that she was so excited for what she did know - that I would be sharing the message of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. She knew His role in our lives as the Savior of mankind and His ability to help us see the good and become perfected. Jesus Christ is the one who helps us in all trials - heartaches, hardships, and troubles. He also is the one that made it possible for us all to live once more. He rose from the grave, and in doing so, gave us all that same gift as well. 

If I told you that my heart hasn't been heavy and that tears don't frequently stream down my face, I would be lying. It wouldn't be the truth. I'm not sure why Allie was called home by our Heavenly Father so soon, but I know of the plan He has for each and everyone of us always leads us back home to His loving arms.

A scripture I have found a lot of comfort in is in the Old Testament of the Bible, in Isaiah 25:8. It says, speaking of the Savior, "He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces". I know that it is because He came to earth to die for us and that he lives again, and so in turn, we also will live again. He knows this plan and the joyous news it is. It is us as mortal humans that forget that plan sometimes. We lose that eternal perspective that comes through knowing the Savior's role - as the Prince of Peace and Liberator of all men from death. 

My purpose as a missionary is to help those who may not know this hopeful message to understand the peace and hope in which Jesus Christ gives to us. I want to share this knowledge I have that we will all live again and that we will one day be able to understand the questions and trials we have now.

Allie is one of those "forever friends". Someone that you cannot forget because of the impact that she has made in your life. She taught me how to be happy always and love everyone unconditionally. One song that has been especially near and dear these past few hours is "Each Life That Touches Ours For Good". I think we can all say that Allie is one of those people who has been a great source of good in our lives. Here are 2 of the verses that are most dear to me:



When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

I know that Allie is with our Savior and that He loves her dearly. One day, we will all be able to see her again... I can't wait for that day.

I love you all. I know that there are a lot of unknowns in this life, but the gospel makes it a little more understandable. Please, if you have questions ask the missionaries where you live! They do exactly what I'm doing out here in ABQ and would love to help you. The gospel has changed my life - it gives me the peace that cannot be found elsewhere in this world. 

Hermana March

(From Morgan's Mom:  Morgan doesn't have access to Facebook right now so I've snagged a couple of pictures to include…good times, good memories, good friends)

Pretty girls…one of many, many pictures Morgan and Allie posed for!

Country Western Dance

Ladies First  Seniors

JAMA goes Gatsby

JAMA Graduates
(JAMA = Jessica, Alex, Morgan and Allie - always laughing!)

Taco Time…Allie and her hot sauce friends

Allie: "I look like a ballerina balancing on the post on one toe!"


Sports Day


The cupcake crew - Choir tour


The Golden Girls


After singing the national anthem with Ladies First at the A's game

Allie with Morgan when she opened her mission letter - Always supportive
Allie: "I can't believe one of my best friends is going to serve for 18 months in New Mexico!! I'm so proud of you Morgs and I'm gonna miss you so much! #mylilmormon"

We'll be missing you Allie…Good-bye for now, until we meet again. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing such a beautiful piece about your friendship with Allie. She meant so much to so many people and brought joy to everyone around her. It is comforting to be reminded that we will all be United again in the kingdom of heaven. The loss of our dear Alexandria has been devastating and sometimes the grief just swallows me up. I know I'm not alone.God bless.

    ReplyDelete