12.01.2015

"My Great Thanksgiving"

Hola there outside world! I hope your week was full of thanksgiving. Literally. We have so much to be thankful for! Oh and I hope ya had lots of turkey, rolls, mashed potatoes... the whole shabang.

Well, while weeks of holidays are normally awesome and grand, they make missionary work a little bit harder because, well... no one is home and no one wants to meet with you. But it's okay, we carry on! Here are some of the funny stories from the week!


1. So this week, we're walking down the street and all of a sudden I hear a car door open and then I hear something clank on the ground. It's one of those little plastic tequila bottles. I think someone tried to hit me with tequila. Satan probs had a good laugh. 

2. We're walking to our investigator's door. I'm so excited for this lesson... ya know, because who doesn't like spreading the good word?! Well we get to the door and the son answers, and of course, the dad isn't there. All disappointed we start trudging back to the car. (read next part like "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree"). I look in the window and who do I see? Our investigator staring at me. This is such a sad surprise, I thought we'd be real good friends. 

3. Later that day we tried to go visit someone we had talked to on the street. We walk to his "apartment" and look in the front window. It's abandoned... like no one has lived there in months. People, why you gotta be so mean? All we're trying to do is bring you salvation...


4. MY LIFELONG DREAM WAS FULFILLED. Okay not really, but I got to ride a bike as a missionary while I was on exchanges with some English sisters. That was fun. The 37 degree weather with 21mph wind made it especially enjoyable. Until the wind blew up my skirt... good thing I had tights on. Elders, ya got it so lucky.


#bikingwhileselfiesticking
5. So there's this member of the branch who is my fave ever. Her food is like heavenly manna and it's what I look forward to every week. Well we get there, we sit down, and the table is spread. Oh how delicious. Wait, what is that? Oh no. This can't be happening. Big, fat, soggy, slabs of CHICHARONES. aka pig skin. Good ole' hunks of pig skin can brighten anyone's day #not. I start eating them and I know that, well, it's not going to be good in a little while... long story short: we were knocking on a potential investigator's door and I take off running down the driveway so I don't hurl in the nice lady's yard. 


6. Real quick: someone told me I looked Mexicana today... they said once I have Spanish down I can fool anyone into thinking I'm from one of the Northern Mexican states #lyfegoals


OKAY. So really this week was kinda tough, but that's normal to have some weeks like that. I think that the weeks when I'm rejected the most and people are the rudest I learn the most. I love part of the 26th chapter of Alma, which says:

 "27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictionsand will give unto you success.
 28 And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world—not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God.
 29 And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out, and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks; and we have been stonedand taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again.
30 And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."

The times I am rejected in the streets, in houses, or anywhere else, I realize that it's still all worth it. It's worth it to save some soul. And to be completely honest... this mission is saving MY soul. It's saving me because I'm learning how to be more like Christ. I'm learning more about Christ. He was the literal son of God and yet, he was still rejected. And how many times did those people see miracles and still reject Him? Rejection is part of the "terms and conditions" of being a disciple of Christ. But the funniest part? I'm joyous. I'm happy. I'm grateful. Like Ammon, I can say that "this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and will give thanks unto my God forever.". I can never express how grateful I am for these experiences I am having. I love the mission. I love serving the Lord.

Have a great week because ya'll deserve it! 

Hermana March

p.s. my p-day is going to be on MONDAY for the next 2 weeks. if you love me, email me then.

 Our fave little child

We made a gingerbread house for the mission home 

 the only man I need in my life right now....... a gingermissionary

 Our branch mission leader making us Quesadillas!

  
Sister Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment