11.09.2015

FLACA O GORDITA... THAT IS THE QUESTION.

Well, well, well. For all ya non Spanish speaking humans, you're probs wondering what in the world "flaca o gordita" means. It means skinny or fat. Two things I was called this week by old ladies in the branch. They sure know how to make a girl feel like a diamond in the rough. 

Okay, to explain a little bit more. So on Thursday we go and see this older lady... we walk in her front door and she starts poking my stomach (weird? yes) and says "poor thing, you must me freezing... you're so flaca (aka skinny). Umm, why yes... thanks for becoming my favorite person in the branch now. 

Now, fast forward to last night. We got to visit a yet older lady in the branch. We walk in and she goes "aren't you freezing?!" and I just say "no, not really". Well then she says, "I understand, it's because you're gordita (fat). But it's okay, you look good!". You know, I had no words to say, so I just said "thanks". Thinking back now, I'm like really?... did I really say thanks to someone who called me fat? Hermana Quist couldn't stop laughing. When we got in the car, I turned to her and said "ya know, it's a good thing I have hardly any self esteem left or that might've been offensive". 

So yes. The question is flaca o gordita. 

Some other highlights of the week:
1. there's snow on the mountains... it's beautimous. 
2. we got to go on a hike and I climbed a tree. It was fabulous. 
3. I ate "papadillas" for the first time in my life. They are basically mashed potatoes in a quesadilla. aka they're like heaven on fat kid earth. (I bet they ain't helpin the gordita situation)

So on to transfer news: I'm here in Albuquerque for at least another 6 weeks! Hermana Quist and I will be companions once again, and I'm excited and nervous for the call I received to be an STL (sister training leader). I'm so grateful for the chance that I will have to be able to help the other sisters in the mission continue on and become better missionaries... it'll be quite the experience!

Okay so some of the biggest miracles I have seen this week!

1. Our investigator Miguel is this cute little old man. He's been taking the missionary lessons for about 2 years now off and on. The hugest difficulty we have had with him is trying to convince him and that he can pray out loud. In 2 years, he has NEVER said a prayer out loud. Well after so much praying for him, ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT HE PRAYED! He was like "sure, but it's going to be short"!. Well it could've been two words and still made me cry. At the end of his short, yet sincere prayer, I was in tears... the spirit was so strong. All I could think of was that this is what it's all about. Missionary work is worth every hardship when you get to see people make HUGE steps in their progression.  

2. Jesus, our other investigator (yes, there's 2... the one who got baptized and now another one), well he is so close to being ready for baptism. He's planning on the 27th of the month and it looks like he's going to make it! Yesterday, he walked in to church and I hardly recognized him. He had shaved his shaggy beard and cut his wild hair. It's just an outward appearance thing, but to me, it signifies a lot. He feels better on the inside and so that light spreads to the outside as well. He's physically changing with his spiritual change. It's the oddest sensation to see. I wish I had a picture of the first day I met him to now.  

I love the mission life. When else can I devote 24/7 for 365 days a year serving the Lord?! 

Have a "papadilla" week... aka it'll be fantastic. 

Hermana March

oh here's a picture of a good chunk of the zone on the hike!

oh and yes, mom. I am at the same address as last time... so if anyone is feeling the love, feel free to send me a snail mail. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment