8.16.2015

HOLA FROM THE LAND OF MEXICO

Well first off, let me apologize for the day late email. Long story short, in the past 4 weeks, a lot has changed. We have changed teachers once, classrooms 5 times, zones once, branch presidency once, and yes, p-days once. So here I am to tell you all about the adventures of this week!

1. One night, I lay my head down to sleep. The mosquitoes are buzzing around and because it is so hot in our room the windows are open. Right as I am about to fall asleep, I hear something. What is it? The melodious strains of a familiar song. The Macarena. And then I asked myself, "do people in Mexico really do the Macarena?" and then I realized my life was complete. 

2. Well one morning we got to the class early after breakfast, so we had some free time. The elders in our district had gotten there before us. We were walking down the hall and heard some cheering going on. To our surprise, we walk in the door and low and behold... snail races. Yes, you heard me right. Actual snails. Actually racing. They had drawn a start and finish line for them on the whiteboard... clearly, you can tell it's the little things that make life here in the CCM. 

3. So one day I was in a lesson practicing with some other missionaries, so I was the "investigator". I was a mom of 3 kids and so of course they asked me what I wanted for my children. Confident in my answer, I reply "Yo quiero mis OJOS ser feliz". Well for you non Español hablaring people, that translates to "I want my EYES to be happy". The elders looked at me and LOST IT. Ojos vs. Hijos. BIG DIFFERENCE. All of us were in tears and I felt a little stupid, but hey, at the end of the day who doesn't want happy eyeballs.?!?!

Well enough of the funny things in my life. I'm loving life here and of course, loving the chance I have to serve other people. I feel like the days are hard sometimes, but Salvation isn't an easy thing to get. 

We had the privilege of hearing from TWO apostles this week. Whoot! Whoot!

Elder Bednar spoke about the character of Christ. Christ always turned out when we, as mortal humans, would turn in to be selfish and self-interested. In the words of Elder Bednar, "get over yourself". Become converted to the Lord. Don't just have a testimony, because you can know what's right and still not do it. Be converted and ACT on what you know to be true and right and good. 

Elder Nelson spoke to us about writing the gospel in our hearts. As a heart surgeon, he talked about how it's central to the body. Therefore when the gospel and doctrine is central in your body, it is in your life as well. He explained that we're all on our way to inscribing it on our hearts. "You´re on your own journey to become like Christ". It's a hard journey, but it's not impossible when you rely on the Savior himself. What better person to help you become like Christ than Christ? I can tell you the answer is that there is no one better fit for the job. 

NEXT WEEK IS MY LAST WEEK HERE. WHAT?!?!?! AND THEN I'M HEADED TO THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT. Sometimes I am so excited to leave the CCM and get to the field, but then I remind myself of an important lesson my teacher here has taught me. We shouldn't wish away today because tomorrow we will wish for yesterday. 

Keep trying to be a little more like Christ. Say your prayers. And remember I love you all. 

Peace. Love. Preach. 
Hermana March

 Ok, so here are the elders and their snails. One fell asleep and then woke up and turned the wrong way. He's obviously the loser.


Hermana Kamalu & my favorite ice cream. One thing Mexico does right in the food department is their Santa Clara's ice cream bars. We look forward to it every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment