2.28.2015

I'm Going On A Mission!

New Mexico Albuquerque 
Spanish Speaking
Mexico MTC
July 8th

I can't believe it... I finally know where I am going! 

I'm going to be an HERMANA!

I could not be more happy to serve the people of New Mexico. 



I opened my call on Sunday February 22, 2015. I loved being surrounded by my family, close friends, and leaders who have made such a difference in my life. And for those friends back in Utah at school, there was a live Skype call of me opening  my call in an apartment with tons of friend from the ward. It was special to be able to see and realize just how many people are supporting my decision to serve a full time mission. I've been so blessed to have such great examples in my life that have made me want to be a little better each and every day.

As I started to read my call, I started to get a little bit teary eyed, but kept reading through it. Me being me, I couldn't take the anticipation and I read ahead while I was still reading out loud, and saw the words New Mexico Albuquerque. I stopped and started laughing. Yes laughing.


This was one of the last places I'd ever think I'd get called on my mission. Heck, it didn't even cross my mind. Out of 173 guesses and pretty much every state and country marked, this had 0. After I had opened my call, I was talking to a friend and she said "I had forgotten that New Mexico was a state until you said you had been called there". So apparently I wasn't the only one to think that this was a very obscure and random place to be called.

But the funniest part about all of this is that even though it was so random and unexpected, I could not be happier with where I have been called. I automatically felt an overwhelming love for the people of New Mexico, which was one of the coolest experiences that I have ever had. I could really feel what people mean when they say they are able to love people they have never met and I know that's because I was able to look through Christ's eyes, instead of my own.



Ever since my call, I have been researching New Mexico everything. What is the weather like? What is the food like? What are the main demographics? What do people do for work? I was so curious (and still am) to find about this place where I'll be serving my mission.

AND LET ME TELL YOU I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE.

They don't call it the land of enchantment for no reason -- I am seriously in love with New Mexico already. I call it a "hidden gem". There are so many cool aspects about NM that I feel like hardly anyone realizes. It's absolutely beautiful. Plains, rocky mountains, rivers, white sand deserts... the list of things I love keeps going.  The food is supposed to be some of the best Mexican style food in the States, but even better because they have the special NM green chile. Apparently, it goes on everything they eat: pizza, burgers, eggs, potatoes, enchiladas, burritos, you name it, it's got green chile on it. (Oh and you already know that I've found some recipes from green chile sauce that is typical in NM and made it and good news... it's DELICIOUS!)

The most important thing about NM is the people there and my excitement and desire to serve them. I know that I have been called to serve the people of Albuquerque. I know that my Savior needs me as his representative there. I know there are people there that I need to meet -- and that they'll bless my life and hopefully I'll have the chance to bless their life as well. I know that our Savior, Jesus Christ, came to earth to atone for each and every one of our sins. I know he loves us as individuals. I know that through him we will be able to return to live with our Heavenly Father. I know that if we believe in him and follow his perfect example throughout our life, we will be able to be the happiest that is earthly possible. And that's why I am going on a mission. I want the people of New Mexico to know about the true source of happiness -- Jesus Christ and His gospel!

I'm just ready to leave now! July 8th come quickly please!

Here's the short video of me reading me call:

video


No comments:

Post a Comment